Responding to the Gospel
Why we need Jesus and how he meets our greatest need
1) The Gospel of Jesus (Romans 1:16-17)
Gospel = The message about Jesus who came as God to bring salvation to all who believe in him
2) The Problem of Sin and God’s solution (Romans 3:10-11 and 23-25)
sin = the wrong we’ve done and the good we haven’t done
justified = made right with God
propitiation = Jesus’ blood paid the price of our sin and satisfied God’s punishment against our sin.
3) The Result of Jesus’ Cross and Resurrection: The Gospel gives peace, grace, joy, and hope (Romans 5:1-2 and 8)
4) We are changed by this Gospel (Romans 6:22-23)
sanctification = a life of devotion, a life that transforms as we more resemble Jesus in our thoughts, actions, and words
5) How to believe in Jesus (Romans 10:9-13)
Heavenly Father, I agree with your word that I have sinned and have gone against you. There’s nothing I can do to earn my way to you, or gain salvation. So today, I repent of my ways and trust in your grace, and believe that you gave Jesus to pay for my sin and give me new and eternal life. I confess him as my Risen Lord and Savior, and I believe that he died for me and rose again. From this day on, help me to grow in the Gospel, and be changed by your grace. Amen.